The all-time American favorite apple pie filling recipe does not require a lot of effort or ingredients, but just the right recipe for a tasty filling.
This simple to cook, yet utterly delicious filling is sure to leave your guests and kids asking for more.
The juicy apples coated with flavorful spices and sugar preserves the classic recipe while the dried cranberries give a new modern twist to the flavor.
This filling is made with Grammy Smith apples because they give up less moisture when compared to red delicious apples; this, in turn, makes the pie less liquidly and more intact.
Preparation and Cooking time
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 25 minutes
Total time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 8 fresh Grammy Smith apples (peeled, cored and cut)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Half teaspoon cinnamon
- Half teaspoon crushed nutmeg
- One and a half tablespoon lemon zest and juice
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt.
Directions – Apple Pie Filling Recipe
- Take a large mixing bowl; add the cut Grammy Smith apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly until all the apple pieces are coated well.
- On a pan, heat butter on medium flame. Add the coated apple pieces to the butter.
- Add dried cranberries for extra flavor.
- Cook thoroughly for 5 minutes and then simmer the flame to avoid heating the apples rapidly.
- The flavors come together only when you cook the apples slowly on low flame and give them enough time to work their magic.
- There are three ways to know when to cut off the heat
- One, the apples acquire a beautiful, rich brown color.
- Two, the apples start to lose moisture and form a juice of their own.
- Three, the apples almost start to turn soft.
- Do not overcook the apples as they are going to be cooked again in the oven along with the pie.
You may like reading:
Pecan Pie Cake Recipe
No-Bake Rolo Cheesecake Recipe
The measures are given to fill one 9 inch pie.
- The deliciousness of the apple pie often leaves us wondering if our health has a price to pay for the unmatched taste. Not to worry. Apple pie is considered to be healthy because of the never-ending health benefits of apples. It gives us enough energy to work efficiently for the rest of the day.
- Grammy smith apples have numerous health benefits as they help in weight loss, lessen the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke while stabilizing blood sugar levels due to high dietary fiber content.
- Since brown sugar is not enhanced with industrial additives like sulfur dioxide and is left in a more natural state than white crystallized sugar, it is a healthier option. It comes in handy when you cook recipes that require denser and moister products as the molasses present in brown sugar gives it more moisture.
You may like reading:
Cheesecake Dessert Tacos Recipe
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Recipe