Are you desperately seeking home remedies for a dry scalp to soothe that incessant itchiness? Are you wondering if you can finally find relief and enjoy a healthier scalp?
In this post, we’re unveiling the top 6 DIY home remedies for dry scalp that promise to banish the itch and leave your scalp feeling nourished and comfortable.
Say goodbye to dry, flaky scalp woes and hello to the remedies that can help you regain your scalp’s natural balance.
A dry scalp is a flaky, white, and dry skin on our scalp that is often accompanied by frequent itching on the head.
It’s hard to resist scratching vigorously when we have an itchy head. We do not even care if we are present in a professional or public space. Still, this constant activity may be irritating not only to us but also to other surrounding people.
When left untreated, a dry scalp may cause several other hair problems, such as dandruff, lice, flaky scalp, itching, and hair loss.
We will first review the reasons behind this hair condition to find effective home remedies for dry scalp.
Root Causes of Dry Scalp
The main culprit behind itchy and unmanageable hair is a dry scalp. Our head consists of sebaceous or oil glands that provide natural oil and moisturize our scalp.
These sebaceous glands may get dehydrated and stripped of the natural oil due to several factors, resulting in a dry scalp.
This condition may get triggered by a variety of below-mentioned factors –
- Overexposure to sunlight
- Regular styling of hair – straightening, curling, etc.
- Use of harsh chemical-based hair products such as shampoos, dyes, and conditioners
- Taking an improper diet lacking essential nutrients
- Working in extreme conditions – excessive cold or excessive hot climates
- Drinking fewer amounts of water
- Skin diseases like psoriasis, eczema, etc.
- Stress and depression
What should be the correct procedure to treat them?
There is no cleverness in wasting your valuable bucks on chemical-laden hair products to treat the problem of hair loss.
These harsh products may wreak havoc on the quality of our hair and cause more harm than good.
Due to infrequent washing and hair cleaning, dry flakes are produced, which form a lump and get mixed together.
But, these flakes are loosely attached to our hair and can be easily removed using various natural tips and best home remedies for treating dry hair and itchy scalp.
Proper nourishment, moisturization, and oiling can be helpful as home remedies for dry scalp and itching.
Easy DIY Home Remedies for Dry Scalp
- 2 fresh Lemons
- 1 tablespoon Coconut
A combination of lemon juice and coconut oil is tailor-made for treating dry scalp and dandruff. Lemon is packed with antiseptic properties that help shed unwanted dead skin cells on our scalp.
It also moisturizes our dry scalp, and coconut oil provides adequate nourishment and hydration and hence finds its place among potent home remedies for dry scalp.
- Squeeze the juice from these 2 lemons and mix 1 tablespoon of virgin honey.
- Stir the contents well and apply this mixture to the scalp of your hair.
- Gently massage for 5 minutes so that flaky particles get loose and soft and start peeling out of our head.
- Keep it for 15 minutes, then shampoo your hair with mild and normal water.
- You can wrap a wet and warm towel over your head so that all the nutrients deeply seep into the pores of your hair.
Repeat these home remedies for dry scalp every time before shampooing your hair.
For more on hair care, check out:
- Half a cup of water
- 2 cups of beer
- Half cup ACV
Apple Cider vinegar is undoubtedly an important natural product that provides many wonderful benefits to our skin and hair.
It is one of the amazing home remedies for dry scalp as it has antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that soothe irritating itching and keep dry and flaky scalp at bay.
Beer is an outstanding natural hair conditioner that will help mitigate the problem of dry and itchy hair scalp.
- Mix half a cup of Apple Cider vinegar, 2 cups of beer, and half a cup of water.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mixture and then apply it to your scalp with the help of this cotton.
- Now, gently massage your head with your fingertips for a few minutes.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes, and then wash off your head with an herbal shampoo.
One can apply these home remedies for dry and itchy scalp every time before shampooing one’s hair.
- Half a cup of virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of honey
Together, honey and olive oil are excellent home remedies for dry scalp as honey is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that alleviate scalp drying and keep itching at bay. Olive oil makes our hair healthy and nourished.
- Warm half a cup of virgin olive oil and add 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Mix the contents well and gently massage your head and scalp for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes, and wash your head with mild shampoo later.
- One can also apply a wet towel to absorb the oil and honey into our hair follicles deeply.
Try this natural measure to treat dry and irritated scalp twice weekly and get amazing results.
- One small cup of finely ground Fuller’s Earth powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
Using Fuller’s Earth or Multani Mitti is also one of the best home remedies for dry scalp as it helps a great deal in moisturizing our hair naturally.
It provides spectacular results when combined with lemon juice and coconut oil.
- Make a fine paste by adding one teaspoon each of lemon juice and coconut oil in a cup full of Fuller’s Earth powder.
- Apply thick layers of this natural hair pack over your scalp and keep it for half an hour or till it gets partially dried.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water and mild herbal shampoo.
Try this simple herbal treatment for getting rid of the dry scalp once a week.
Mayonnaise combines eggs, vinegar, and vegetable oils that nourish and moisturize our dry scalp.
It is a complete package for home remedies for dry scalp as the eggs provide essential nutrients, vinegar is a disinfectant, and vegetable oil provides moisturization.
- Apply thick layers of mayonnaise over the scalp and thoroughly massage it for 5 minutes.
- Wrap your head with a plastic bag or shower cap and let it remain for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with shampoo and normal water.
Use this herbal remedy twice a week to get rid of dry and itchy scalp.
- One teaspoon of tea tree oil
- 2 ripe avocadoes
- 1 teaspoon of honey
Avocado is a rich source of vital vitamins, oils, and minerals that will effectually treat dryness of the scalp and itching problems. Hence, it makes our hair silky, glossy and moisturized.
Tea tree oil helps remove dead cells and white flakes from our hair, all thanks to its marvelous antibacterial and antifungal qualities.
When used in conjugation, they provide optimum results as powerful home remedies for dry scalps.
- Scoop out the inner pulp of avocado fruit and add one teaspoon of each tea tree oil and pure honey.
- Blend them to get a fine paste, and apply generous layers over your scalp.
- Wrap a shower cap over your head and keep it for at least half an hour.
- Wash your hair with the help of mild herbal shampoo and normal water, and try it out 2 to 3 times a week.
It will serve as one of the excellent home remedies for dry scalp.
So what are you waiting for? Get luscious, healthy, and hydrated hair, free from dry scalp and itching within weeks, by using these easy, cost-effective, and fantastic home remedies for the dry scalp!
You May Like…
Embrace the goodness of natural remedies – pin now for a healthier scalp and hair!
You may like reading: